HOME

CANARY GEOG CANARY SHOP ABOUT US MESSAGE BOARD CONTACT US

 

Your opinions, comments and suggestions are important to keep the page updated and interesting.
 
Please take some time to fill in a feedback message (click on icon below) and send it to me.
 
New and easy form without the need to have an email program installed on your computer.
 

Feedback
 
SENDER MESSAGE

Message sent by :   Ros Turner
Hi, i was pruning my jasmines the other day and i was wondering what i could do with the clippings off it, i live on a farm so i want to ask is it poisonous to feed jasmine to cattle  or sheep, you have said on your website that the sap and berries are fatal, but you didn't say who it was fatal for? could you please tell me wheather i can feed it to my sheep or cattle or if i have to put it in the bin or burn it. thank you
Keith's Reply Jasmine and any of its parts are deadly to horses, sheep or cattle. The best you can do with it is burn it. Be careful that the animals don't have access to the growing plants, the sweet smell usually keeps them away from eating it, but its better safe than sorry.

If you need any more advice just let me know. Thanks for visiting our site.

Message sent by :   Pauline Cawthra
I was just checking up day lilies for being poisonous to cattle as we are allowed to throw some weeds in the farmer's dump, but a neighbour put some rhododendron prunings there & killed 4 cows in calf.  I hope you will add this to your list.
Keith's Reply Very sorry to hear about the cows, its a real shame, rhododendron is included in the lists on my website as they are highly poisonous.

Thanks for visiting our website.Regards Keith

Message sent by :   Noel Salisbury
I believe that to ascribe 'Who it affects'  to just  "Birds And Children"  for Belladonna is inadequate........I have read that just 3 berries can kill a grown person.?
 
Keith's Reply Thanks for info. I have ammended the error on the Website regarding Belladona.  
Message sent by :   Noel Salisbury Thanks, Keith - It's a very strong poison after all  

Message sent by :   Lori
This morning I observed my Mini eating my Burning Bush (has red berries). Looking at your toxic plant list it mentions toxic if eaten, but no mention of horses. Should I remove the Burning Bush?
 
Keith's Reply Hi Lori, as you know horses are extremelly stomach delicate, anything that can upset their stomach can lead to a colic, if you can fence the burning bush off someway it would be better, sometimes horses won't touch these plants, for example, I have a poinsettia next to my horses and they don't touch it but if they decided to eat it it would cause them a strong mouth irritation. If you can't fence it off they you have no option but to consider removing it. If you need any more advice don't doubt in asking.  

Message sent by :   Carole
Hi, I'm trying to find out if the dead leaves of the myosporum laetum are still toxic to horses, and how much does one have to eat before it affect them. Thanks for any information.
 
Keith's Reply Hi Carole, as far as I know the myoporum laetum is extremelly toxic, leaves and fruits are toxic and may be fatal to livestock. The toxin (ngaione) is a furanoid sesquiterpene ketone that constitutes 70%-80% of oil of ngaio, an essential oil. The fruit is less toxic than the leaves and toxines are released with leaf fall. The ammount that has to be eaten depends much on the size of the animal  but it doesn't take much to kill an animal like a horse which is very sensitive to most toxines. I hope this information if helpful to you, thanks for visiting my site.  
Message sent by :   Carole
Keith, thanks for the information, I just did not know if the dead leaves were toxic as well. Also if it was a horse around 1.000 lbs. do you have any idea how much they'd need to eat, it not, could you refer me on. Thanks.
 
Keith's Reply Hi Carole, contact Dan Brown from Cornell University, I consider him to be one of the best experts on toxic plants. I have recommended many people to contact him. Mention canaryzoo.com when contacting him. I hope he can help you.